Porcelain tile is consistently a preferred flooring choice among homeowners. Partly due to its beauty and durability, but also due to its stain-and moisture-resistance.
Clean porcelain tile regularly, as often as two times per week, to keep it in top condition.
Cleaning Unpolished/Unglazed Porcelain Tile
- Vacuum and sweep the area thoroughly to remove dust and dirt.
- Taking one section at a time (two or four feet square), saturate the tile surface with a vinegar-and-water mixture (1/4 cup white vinegar and two gallons of water) or a commercial cleanser (available for sale at the Tile Superstore & more).
- Allow the cleanser to soak into the tile for five to ten minutes, but do not allow it to dry.
- Scrub stained areas with a soft-bristle brush.
- Wipe away the dirty cleaning solution and rinse the area with hot water.
- Dry the tile with a clean towel or a microfiber cloth.
What Not to Do
While porcelain tile boasts exceptional durability, there are few products and techniques you should avoid when you go to clean:
-Never use a product containing ammonia or bleach (or any type of acid-based cleanser); these can alter the tile color and/or stain the grout. Also never use oil-based detergents or wax cleaners.
-Do not use any cleaners that contain dye or coloring.
-Never use steel wool to clean porcelain tile—small particles of steel can become embedded in the tile and grout, eventually causing rust stains.
-Do not use hard bristles or scrub brushes, as they can scratch the tile surface.
We’re proud to be able to help create a look you love, and we want it to last a lifetime. Regular cleaning and polishing with a soft cotton or microfiber cloth will ensure that porcelain tile retains its “like new” shine for many years.
Need help with your next remodel? We can help! We are The Builder’s Choice for all your projects! Stop in today at 2411 7th ST NW, Rochester, MN 55901 or give us a call at 507-285-1109